[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Seattle Rex Forums • View topic - Stand Your Ground Law Stats

Stand Your Ground Law Stats

Tell local, state, and national politicians what you think by posting in this hugely influential forum.

Postby chuckreis » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:37 am

Article is great mainly because of this graph:

Look murder rates dropped! Wait a second....
chuckreis Offline

VegasRex VIP
VegasRex VIP

Postby Rex » Thu May 01, 2014 1:48 pm

OMG, that's not real, is it?

I'll tell you something, as a lifelong resident of the inner-city, and not the relatively safe and clean part I live in now, I'm a huge fan of stand-your-ground laws.

Gun control is basically advocated by affluent, classist honkies who have never had to defend themselves from anyone or anything. People from jurisdictions where crime rates are low, and the cops come lickety split.

These people don't want any uppity nignogs or rednecks carrying guns, or taking any power away from the "elected" elite or the armed enforcers. Unless, of course, those rednecks or nignogs are fighting for the interests of their daddy's corporation. After all, Art History degrees ain't cheap.

If you care for some real stats, though. look at the ones that show that the jurisdictions with the highest gun control also have the highest gun violence rates. For instance, Washington DC has the toughest gun control in the nation, yet is always near the top for gun violence.

Disarming all, or even most criminals is about as feasible as deporting all, or most illegal aliens. It's simply not possible. It works in some countries, but we're too far down the road with tens of millions of firearms at large. As such, gun control only disarms the law abiding, while failing to do much of anything to those who don't obey the laws. In the USA, there is simply little evidence showing that gun control has the intended effect, and libraries of evidence showing just the opposite.

That being said, graphs like the one shown above are just idiotic.
Rex Offline

Postby Rex » Thu May 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Here is the right side up chart.

Personally, looking at the chart, I'd say that the SYG law has had an inconclusive effect.

If someone is more likely to get shot now while breaking into someone's home, as opposed to 2005, however, I'm perfectly fine with that.
Rex Offline

Postby chuckreis » Thu May 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Gun control is different than Stand Your Ground.

I am fine with Castle Laws but if you are getting into a gun fight, your best bet is to run.

I wish I could find the article, but the statistic for running away from someone aiming a gun at you (from a reasonable distance, not point blank) and surviving is better than fighting back. A common criminal will probably not be that great of a shot, so if you are a moving target it makes you harder to hit and even harder to be critically wounded.

The stats on Stand Your Ground are all over the place and the variables are so great I am not sure that the truth could be found. Some say the overall decrease in crime is around 10%, others say that violent crime increases but because of bad policing, the crime gets called SYG when it is not in fact SYG. Some stats show an increase in violence against whitey, some show that whitey gets a free ticket to kill black people.

My own thought process leads me to think that, having known tons of white and black people with guns, white people have the advantage. Most of the white people I know with guns go to the country to shoot or hit the range. Most black people just had the guns for show or defense but no practical training. That right there would make me think white people with some wealth are going to have Concealed Carry Permits and to have more of a defense in the case of using the weapons.

The power structure doesn't care about the people having guns, they have bigger and better guns.
chuckreis Offline

VegasRex VIP
VegasRex VIP

Return to Politics